The following information on Lord Edward Fitzgerald is taken from the club’s centenary year publication entitled “Tulsk Parish: A GAA History 1886 – 1985” (available to view in Roscommon Library). Committee members: Peter Carney, Frank Rushe, Sean Raftery, Laurence Mannion, Josie Lenehan, Noel Sheerin, Pat Burke.
“Lord Edward Fitzgerald, son of James, 1st Duke of Leinster, and Lady Emily Lennox, was born on 15th October, 1763 in Carton House, County Kildare.
He received formal military training with the Crown Forces and reached the rank of Lieutenant. He had four years of service which took him to North America where he was severely wounded. He recovered and spent two years in the West Indies.
He returned to Ireland in 1783. On his appointment to the Irish Parliament in that year he allied himself to Henry Grattan who led the opposition to the government. Despite many offers of army promotion, Lord Edward continued his opposition to the government. His name was removed from the army list in 1792.
The Insurrection Act of 1796, gave the Lord Lieutenant power to declare certain districts under martial law and gave almost unlimited power to magistrates in such areas to press “suspicious characters” into service in the army. Thousands of peasants, chiefly from the West of Ireland, were conscripted and sent to war against their will.
Edward opposed this act and subsequently became identified with the United Irishmen, who were much in need, not only of the prestige of his name but also his military experience. In 1797 he was appointed Commander-in-Chief of forces of the United Irishmen.
He planned the rebellion of 1798 and the date of the uprising was fixed for 24th May.
However, on the word of an informer, he was arrested on 19th May and was taken, severely wounded, to Newgate Prison to await trial for high treason. His health deteriorated while in prison as a pistol-ball which lodged in his shoulder infected his whole system.
He died in the early hours of 4th June, 1798. The following night he was buried secretly by prison officials in the churchyard of St. Werburgh.”
According to the same publication, “the first known reference to the existence of Gaelic games in the present Tulsk parish goes back to 1886 when Tulsk played Mountpleasant in Mountpleasant in early March of that year.” In 1889, “Tulsk Lord Edwards played Ballinagare Gallowglasses at Rathcroghan in a “Friendly”.” “The final score read 0-4 to 0-01 in favour of Ballinagare.”
“The Ballad of Lord Edward Fitzgerald
To Murphy’s house in Thomas Street the bloodhlunds found their way,
He heard their steps approaching from the bed where he lay,
Up sprang he like a tiger mad for their business well he knew
And from underneath his pillow a two edge blade he drew
First into Major Swanson his two edge blade did drive
It was pulled from beneath his fingers and it was buried in his side
But then came Ryan with a keen sword – a stroke – Lord Edward bled
They closed a deadly grapple and fell into the bed
Just then into the lorry Major Sirr the coward came
He feared the red blade shining like a tongue of raging flame
He fired his ready pistol from the space within the door
Then fell Lord Edward wounded with his foes upon the floor
The soldiers gathered round him and they stabbed him on the breast
With their weight upon his body and their guns across his chest
They held him ’til he weakened and he fainted where he lay
And they seemed to fear him even as they dragged him hence away
They threw him into prison where he suffered, raved and died
With the keeper of a mad house in attendance by his side.”
Our Club Crest: The Crown represents the kings who were crowned at Carns and reigned from Rathcroghan.
The Ruins represent the ancient ruins at Toberelva, Tulsk and Baslick.
The Bull represents the link between the Brown Bull of Cooley and Rathcroghan.
The Crozier and Shamrock represent the visit of St. Patrick to Ogulla Well. The shamrock also represents the three churches of Killina, Tulsk and Kilmurray.
The Scroll and Brushes represent the music and art of Percy French from Clooneyquinn.
The Running Water represents the water of Ogulla Well.
The Maroon and Green represents the club colours of St. Mary’s and St. Brendan’s.
The Motto ‘Ní neart go cur le chéile’ means “Unity is strength”.